Darren Livie is the pastor of Relevant Church. His hobbies include reading, biking, rooting for the New England Patriots (and the Eagles), and frequenting Starbucks. He and his wife, Hannah, live in Allentown and have two dogs, Peppermint Patty and Moxie.
What We Do
We genuinely love Jesus and our community by actively serving both.
Sundays at 10AM at Lindberg Park: 2800 Lindberg Avenue, 18103 (we will occasionally pivot to the church facility if the weather is bad. Notifications will be posted on this site and our Facebook page).
At Relevant, we offer an atmosphere that leads to building healthy relationships. We deeply believe that church is about people and not the facility. Developing relationships that will help people enter and grow in their faith with Jesus Christ is our mission. We gather on Sunday mornings to worship and grow in our faith. We view church as a bunch of people who simply live life together. We also believe that church is so much more than simply gathering once a week. This means that we connect with each other throughout the week, encouraging one another, crying with each other, enjoying life together, lending a hand when needed, and pursuing Jesus together.
Our goal is to actively serve our community. Our desire is to display the love of Jesus to all people. We aim to genuinely love those who are a part of our church family, as well as to those who have yet to respond to Christ. Serving demonstrates love in action.
We believe the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God (1). We believe it to be Divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit (2). We further believe that its declarations are final (3). And that it is the only true rule of faith and practice (4). 1. I Peter 1:23; Luke 24:27,44; Deut. 8:3; I Peter 1:25. 2. II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:21. 3. Matthew 24:34; I Peter 1:25; Psalm 119:89. 4. Acts 17:10-12; Isaiah 34:16; Romans 10:17; I Thess. 2:13.
We believe that the scriptures of both the Old and New Testaments are, in their original autographs, wholly and verbally given by God and are therefore free from error or fault. Furthermore, the Bible is without error in all of its teachings. This is true no less when it speaks about creation, science, geography or world history, than when it reveals the condition of man and God's plan of salvation. While the Bible is not specifically a textbook on science, history, mathematics or geography, we are convinced that whatever statements it makes within the scope of any of these subjects is without error.
This doctrine of inerrancy is verified by: 1. The character of God - Psalm 119:160; Hebrews 6:17,18. 2. The testimony of Jesus Christ - John 17:17. 101.2 3. The witness of the Apostles. - Paul (II Timothy 3:16) - Peter (II Peter 1:21) 4. The convictions of the Church Fathers - from Iranaeus to Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Wesley, etc. 5. The results of modern scholarship - archaeological findings and the research done on discoveries like the Dead Sea Scrolls only confirm the position of inerrancy always held by the evangelical church.
We believe the Bible teaches the following doctrines:
THE TRIUNE GOD
We believe that God exists in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, three Persons, one God (1). We believe He is self-existent, infinite, personal, unchangeable and eternal in His being (2). He is perfect in holiness, love, justice, goodness, wisdom and truth (3). He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent (4). He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things, visible and invisible (5).
1. Matthew 28:18-20; II Cor. 13:14; Deut. 6:4; John 10:30. 2. Exodus 3:11-18; Psalm 90:1-2; Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 1:12; Psalm 22:3. 3. Exodus 34:6; Deut. 32:4; Isa. 6:3; Isa. 57:15; Psalm 103:8; I Timothy 1:17; II Peter 3:9; I John 4:8-16. 4. Job 42:2; Matthew 19:26; Mark 10:27; Jer. 23:23-24; Jer. 17:19; Matthew 18:20; Matthew 28:18-20. 5. Genesis 1:1; John 1:3; Col. 1:16; Heb. 1:3; II Peter 3:5-7.
THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST
We believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ (1); in His eternity (2); in His incarnation by the virgin birth (3); thus uniting perfect man and perfect God in one body (4). We believe also in His sinless life (5); in His vicarious death (6); and bodily resurrection from the dead (7); in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (8). We further believe in His present ministry of advocacy (9); and His coming again in power and glory (10).
1. John 1:1; John 1:18; Isa. 9:6; John 5:18; John 8:58; John 6:51-52; John 17:5. 2. Micah 5:2; John 1:18; John 3:16. 3. Luke 1:35; Matt. 1:18-25; John 1:14; I Timothy 3:16; Isa. 7:14. 4. Acts 2:22; Heb. 2:14-18; I Cor. 8:6; I John 5:7; John 10:30. 5. I Peter 3:18; II Cor. 5:21; Isaiah 53:6. 6. I Peter 2:24; Rom. 5:8; Matt. 20:28; Rom. 5:6; II Cor. 5:15; I Timothy 2:6; Heb. 2:9. 7. I Cor. 15:20; Luke 24:1-7; Matt. 28:1-10; Rom. 1:4; Phil. 3:10; Rom. 8:11. 8. Heb. 1:3; Acts 1:9-10; Luke 24:51; Acts 7:56. 9. John 17; I John 2:1-2; Heb. 4:15. 10. I Thess. 4:13-18; John 14:1-6; I Cor. 15:51-58; Titus 2:13; II Peter 1:16; Acts 1:11.
THE DEITY AND PERSONALITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
We believe the Holy Spirit to be the third Person of the blessed Trinity. He is eternally God (1). His office work is to reprove the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgment (2). We believe the Holy Spirit to be a Person (3), Who regenerates (4), sanctifies (5), empowers (6), teaches (7), guides (8), and comforts (9). He is at work in the world as a witness to Christ (10), as the builder of the Church (11), and as the indweller of the brethren (12).
1. Matt. 28:18-20; II Cor. 13:14; John 14:26; Acts 5:3-4; I Cor. 12:8-11; Matt. 10:20; Romans 8:9; I Cor. 2:13. 2. John 16:7-11; John 15:26; Heb. 9:14. 3. Acts 13:2; John 16:13-14. 4. John 3:5; Titus 3:5. 5. I Thess. 5:23; Acts 13:2. 6. Acts 1:8; Luke 24:49. 7. John 14:26; John 15:26. 8. John 16:13; I John 2:20,24 9. John 14:16; John 14:26; John 15:26. 10. John 16:13; Acts 1:8; Matt. 3:16-17; Luke 3:22. 11. Acts 2; Matthew 16:13-18; Eph. 2:19-22. 12. Galatians 2:20; I Cor. 6:19-20.
We believe that man was created by the direct act of God, in His image, possessing personality (1) and the right of choice. In his original state man enjoyed fellowship with God (2). We further believe that man chose not to remain in the happy state in which God created him; being tempted by Satan, he became disobedient (3), and incurred upon himself and his posterity the sentence that sin deserved (4). We further believe that man in his natural state cannot please God (5).
1. Genesis 1:26-27; Genesis 2:7. 2. Genesis 3:9. 3. Genesis 3:1-6. 4. I Cor. 15:22; Rom. 6:23; Genesis 3:14-19; Ezekiel 18:4. 5. John 3:6; John 3:36; I John 5:12; Rom. 3:20; Rom. 8:7-8.
We believe that God intentionally created two distinct genders, male and female, and that gender is a biological reality not a sociological choice (1). We believe that marriage is the sanctified union of a man and woman for the purpose of companionship, procreation and the raising of children (2). Furthermore, we believe that the love, commitment and faith of a husband and wife is meant to be a visible display of Christ's love for His bride, the Church (3) and that Christians should only be united in marriage to a spouse who is also a follower of Christ (4).
We believe that God has provided redemption for all men through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross (1). We further believe that since man cannot save himself, God has provided the perfect offering for sin in Christ (2).
1. John 1:29,35-36; John 10:11,15; Heb. 9:28; Romans 5:8. 2. I Peter 3:18; II Cor. 5:21; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14; I Peter 1:23; Luke 19:8-10.
We believe that man is justified in the sight of God by faith, and that true, genuine faith produces regeneration, also called the new birth (1). We further believe that Godly sorrow for sin (repentance) will produce reformation of character (2). 1. Romans 3:24; Romans 5:1; John 3:3. 2. Luke 13:3,5; Acts 17:30; Matthew 3:8.
We believe that sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit in the heart (1), setting apart or consecrating for a task (2), producing holiness in the life (3).
1. I Thess. 3:13; I Thess. 5:23; I Peter 1:2; II Thess. 2:13. 2. Acts 15:8-9; I Thess. 5:23-24. 3. John 17:17,19; Eph. 5:26; Acts 15:8-9; II Cor. 7:1.
THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS CHRIST
We believe that Jesus Christ will come again to the earth to reign (1). We believe that it will be pre-millenial, visible and redemptive (2). This is the great source of motivation for purification (3), and inspiration for Christian service (4).
1. Matthew 24:44; II Timothy 4:1; Acts 1:11. 2. Romans 8:18-23; I Timothy 6:14-16. 3. I John 3:1-3. 4. Romans 13:11-14.
We believe in the resurrection of the bodies of both the just and the unjust (1); the just first (2) to the seat of Christ for reward of works (3), and entrance into heaven, and the unbeliever to the Great White Throne for judgment of sin (4) and banishment from the presence of God forever (hell).
1. John 5:28-29; II Timothy 4:1. 2. Revelation 20:5-6. 3. I Cor. 3:10-15; II John 8; Rev. 3:11; James 1:12; Rev. 2:10. 4. Revelation 20:11-15.
We believe the Church to be instituted of God (1). It is the body of which Christ is the head (2). It is composed of believers by faith in Christ as Savior (3), irrespective of race or color (4). Relevant Church is a congregation of believers joined together for mutual fellowship (5), and the worship of God (6).
1. Matthew 16:13-18; Eph. 2:18-22; I Cor. 3:11. 2. Col. 1:18; I Cor. 11:3; Eph. 1:22-23; Eph 2:19-22. 3. II Cor. 5:17; Eph. 2:6-8; John 3:3-5. 4. Gal. 6:14-15; Acts 10:34; Acts 15:6-11; Romans 10:13. 5. Acts 2:41-47; I John 1:7. 6. John 4:24; Phil. 3:3; I Peter 2:9.